Wednesday, November 20, 2013

“If he dies, he dies.”

It appears that the writer who claims the Nets (3-7) will win the NBA championship is trying to get you to focus on a minor reason I was shocked to hear he chose them this year. Their location and owner are just a couple of the circumstances that have to be overcome to justify him pulling for the Nets. Like any good politician, however, Mr. I’m Just Sayin’…is drawing your attention away from his inability to satisfactorily respond to the opportunity to justify his pick. Instead he wants you to think I am the one acting irrationally. Let’s get a few things straight here. His argument that I am contradicting myself by pulling for individuals from places like Michigan, Indiana, and North Carolina is weak at best. Michigan and Indiana are Mid-west, not north. It doesn’t matter how far toward Canada you go, the mid-west is still the mid-west. Also, while I did appreciate their talent (Magic and Bird), I did not pull for their respective teams (Lakers and Celtics). I did pull for Michael Jordan and his Chicago Bulls which are, once again, mid-west. Also, at that time there was not a current President from that city so I can’t be held responsible for the events since then. As for what appears to be his only justification for pulling for them, the fact that Kevin Garnett is on the team, doesn’t quite hold up under more scrutiny.

Mr. I’m Just Sayin’…, I know where Kevin Garnett’s high school is. I coached against Kevin Garnett’s high school. I saw Kevin Garnett play in person. Mr. I’m Just Sayin’…, you are no friend of Kevin Garnett.

Also, I did not room with a guy from New Jersey my last couple of years in college…I roomed with THREE guys from New Jersey. I believe that gives me the credibility I need to make such statements about that part of the country. In fact, my influence over them was so great that had the Carolina Panthers been in existence during my time in college, I would have had no trouble converting them into Panthers fans from New York Giants fans.

Finally, no one from my generation will ever forget one of the darkest days in history…the death of Apollo Creed. The title of this post is from the Russian boxer who was indifferent to weather the greatest boxing champion of all time (until Rocky beat him) would survive after his “exhibition match.” To pull for a team that is owned by someone from a country who promotes that kind of violence is inexcusable. Communism or no communism. Berlin Wall or no Berlin Wall. The wounds are just too deep for me to overcome.


Mr. I’m Just Sayin’…, if your conscience is still clear then let’s focus on the question at hand.  Why are you really pulling for the Brooklyn Nets this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment