Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hello American League


Welcome fans of I’m Just Saying…

I open with that because I am fully aware that you would not be reading this post today if it were not for the reference you saw on the “other” blog this morning. So what is all this pulling for an American League team and how did it come about? Well, let me go back a few years and remind you of something Greg and I did when Clemson football was just too painful to watch. They would begin each season with high expectations only to disappoint by season’s end. Now there is no way I would ever consider not pulling for Clemson but we decided that we needed a team to pull for where there wasn’t such an emotional attachment. That way when they lost the pain wouldn’t be so great. Our team of choice was Texas A&M. The two schools have a similar history both academically, athletically, and a military tradition. Pulling for them was fun. They won most of the time and when they didn’t, well it just didn’t sting as much as watching Clemson lose. How does all that tie in to this next project? All the time spent coming up with a Mount Rushmore for each baseball organization really got me excited about this season. Since our allegiance is with National League teams I thought us choosing an AL team to pull for would keep up the interest level throughout the season. [Another side note of explanation…I am a Braves fan and a Cardinals fan. How/Why? Because living in this part of the country and having TBS back in the ‘80’s meant you were a Braves fan. They were on everyday and you got a chance to “know” the players. Back in the 1980’s the Cardinals were a team built on great pitching and defense with a lot of speed on the base paths. In spite of what has been labeled as my obsession with the “long ball” during our Mt. Rushmore posts, I was a light hitting middle infielder who stole bases back in the day. Naturally, I was drawn to a team who in their best years had maybe one guy in the lineup who was a true homerun threat. Not to mention Ozzie Smith played for them and I tried to be like him (minus the back-flips). But when the chips are down, and the Cards are playing the Braves, I pull for Atlanta.]

In keeping with our tradition of choosing teams to pull for without an emotional attachment we have decided to jointly pick an AL team. Now we had to have a few parameters. I suggested we eliminate northern and west coast teams from consideration. In the words of our friends over at I’m Just Sayin…"We ain’t pullin’ for no yankee teams or hippie western teams." I couldn’t have said it better myself. When looking at what’s left we had to choose from the Texas Rangers, Houston Astros (that’s right, they are an AL team now), Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles, or the Kansas City Royals. Apparently there has been some front office flap between Nolan Ryan and the Rangers so they are out. Houston may be the worst team in MLB so no reason to choose them this year. Tampa is a relatively new organization without much history yet. That leaves the Royals and the Orioles. Our AL team for 2013…the Baltimore Orioles. Look for updates on their season and facts that you may or may not know throughout the season. We don’t know how we are going to do it yet, but you’ll have to check both blogs on a regular basis to make sure you don’t miss anything.

So, Go Braves! Go Cubs! And Go Orioles!!!!

By the way…Last weekend the Braves swept the Cubs. Looks like it is going to be Braves vs Orioles in the 2013 World Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment