Saturday, July 21, 2012

Post Seven: Self Evaluation


One thing that intrigues me as I get older is how much I recognize about myself. I wonder how much of the way I act and the things I like have changed over the years and how much of it has always been there I just never thought about it or recognized it. I am becoming more comfortable with the quirks of my personality and understanding that there are some things that are just the way they are. That’s not to say that I can’t change or am unwilling to change, but some things people are going to have to just accept about me. If you take those things that people will make fun of me to my face and double it to include things laughed at behind my back, then you have quite a collection of idiosyncrasies that make up who I am. Two of those things I accept are time and money and my relationship with both.

If you know me then you know I hate to be late. To me “on time” is 15 minutes before the scheduled meeting time. Time is valuable to me and I believe other people’s time is valuable to them. When you tell someone that you will be there at a certain time then when you are late you are wasting their time. It’s disrespectful to make someone wait. Now I understand that sometimes circumstances cause people to be late. I’m not suggesting that I am never late, but chronic tardiness is selfish. You are saying that your time is more important than someone else’s. If we are to truly live a life of servitude then we should be more considerate of other people’s time.

I have often been accused of being “tight.” When I win the lottery, or change jobs so I can actually get rich, then I’ll loosen up the spending reigns. Otherwise, I plan to be frugal with what little bit I do have. Supporting a family and providing opportunities, some of the same opportunities I was given, requires financial commitment. I have not always been responsible with money and the lesson learned is that I need to be.

So make fun of me if you must, but I have accepted the fact that of the things that make up Sonny, these two ain’t changing anytime soon.

More songs you need to listen to…

Slave to the Grind
Skid Row

The noose gets tighter around my throat
But I ain't at the end of my rope 'cause
I won't be the one left behind
Can't be king of the world
If you're slave to the grind

What a Shame
Shinedown

There's a hard life for every silver spoon
There's a touch of grey for every shade of blue
That's the way that I see life
If there was nothing wrong,
Then there'd be nothing right

Somewhere in Time
Savatage

So what can I tell you
If life's the length of this play
Perhaps God gave the answers
To those with nothing to say

No comments:

Post a Comment